How to Determine Cane Length
Being properly measured or measuring an existing cane will likely deliver more accurate results. There are several ways to determine what your cane length should be--even if the user is not available to measure.
Choose 1 of these 3 easy methods of cane sizing before placing your order, or take a look at this Youtube video:
1. Measure Existing Cane
Simply take an existing cane, and measure from the lowest part of the top of the handle to the bottom of the tip. Round up to the nearest half inch.
2. Measure the Cane User
- Have the user put on their walking shoes.
- User should stand naturally upright as much as possible.
- Let their arms fall to the sides naturally with a normal relaxed bend at the elbow. (see Diagram A for correct posture)
- Using a tape measure or yard stick, measure the distance from their wrist joint (bottom crease at the wrist) down to the floor. Round up to the nearest half inch.
(**For accurate length a second person must read measurement to prevent wrist from moving)
3. Measure Half the Height of the User
If the user is not available or does not have an existing cane, use this method.
Although this works for most cane users it is not always exact. Choose this option at your own risk, and remember a 30% restocking fee applies to all returned cut canes.
Most users cane measurements will be within one inch of half the users height.
- Convert height into inches: Example user height is 5'6" which is 66 inches. 66 divided in half = 33 inches (always round up to the nearest half inch).
- Add half an inch to this measurement to get 33.5 inches.
- After receiving product use step #2 to confirm and change size if needed.